Published in Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/cartoons/20090615_ink_tank/)
Cartoons are especially powerful tools and can:
- Tell a complex story in a few images
- Provide comment and provoke thought on events and issues in the news
- Give an example of vocabulary related to current trends and fads
- Provide easily identifiable characters to form the basis for sketches
- Show culture in action with the ways that men or women are behaving and are expected to behave
- Comment on and illustrate a whole range of issues like racism, teenage relationships, sexism, ageism, family relationships.
Source: British Council; http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/language-assistant/teaching-tips/using...