The framers of our nation never imagined what could happen if big government, big publishing, and big broadcasters ever saw eye to eye in putting the public’s need for news second to their own interests — and to the ideology of market economics. The greatest moments in the history of the press came not when journalists made common cause with the state but when they stood fearlessly independent of it.
Additional Quotes by Bill Moyers
- As a student I learned from wonderful teachers and ever since then I've thought everyone is a teacher.
- Creativity is piercing the mundane to find the marvelous.
- Democracy belongs to those who exercise it.
- Democracy may not prove in the long run to be as efficient as other forms of government, but it has one saving grace: it allows us to know and say that it isn't.
- For the first time in our history, ideology and theology hold a monopoly of power in Washington.
- I own and operate a ferocious ego.
- Ideas are great arrows, but there has to be a bow. And politics is the bow of idealism.
- Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.
- Secrecy is the freedom tyrants dream of.
- The printed page conveys information and commitment, and requires active involvement. Television conveys emotion and experience, and it's very limited in what it can do logically. It's an existential experience - there and then gone.
- There are honest journalists like there are honest politicians - they stay bought.
- This is the first time in my 32 years in public broadcasting that PBS has ordered up programs for ideological instead of journalistic reasons.
- We don't care really about children as a society and television reflects that indifference to children as human beings.
- We see more and more of our Presidents and know less and less about what they do.
- What's right and good doesn't come naturally. You have to stand up and fight for it - as if the cause depends on you, because it does.
- When I learn something new - and it happens every day - I feel a little more at home in this universe, a little more comfortable in the nest.