A displaced child at Aboushouk camp in Norther Darfur
- Nearly 11 million children a year die before their fifth birthday, mostly from preventable causes.
- Out of 100 children born in 2000, 30 will likely suffer malnutrition and 17 will never go to school.
- An estimated 218 million children are used for labour, millions in virtual slavery.
- An estimated 1.2 million children are trafficked each year for labour or sex.
- There are over 300,000 child soldiers, some as young as eight, in more than 30 countries.
- More than 2 million children are thought to have died in armed conflict in the past decade.
- Up to 10,000 children are killed or maimed by landmines each year.
- An estimated 100 million women and girls have undergone genital mutilation.
Sources: UNICEF, International Labour Organization